Things Writers Do.

10:05



Hello Everybody!

This is my first blog post here at my new blog. I've always loved writing and decided I want to document my life and writing and give you some tips I've learned. But I thought I'd start of with a post which every writer can relate to.

Sometimes, being a writer can feel like being a different species. We often have bursts of imagination that no one can explain or weird writing techniques that seem inhuman. So I've decided to try and make sense of this in: Things Writers do (and say).

We steal:
We, as writers, steal. If someone says something funny or influential or just something that captures our attention, rest assured it will appear in our latest novel. We also steal people. If someone interesting walks down the road with brown hair and green eyes and a mysterious looking scar in their left eyebrow, Without a doubt, It's going to be mentioned.

We do our research:
Whether that's hours flicking through Pinterest trying to find the perfect setting for the fourth chapter or spending weeks watching a television series on Netflix. It's research. So don't argue.

It takes over:
It can get to a point as a writer where writing takes over. There are many symptoms of this but most the time it's where you start having emotion breakdowns because of your characters and where you feel like you no longer control them. Yeah, it gets tough.

Writers: I can't I'm Writing.
Writers: But what about _insert character here_

We criticize:
We all critique others writing even if we don't know we are. We all have favourite writers and ones we dislike. I personally am not the greatest fan of John Green but many people are. 

Timings:
Its almost certain that at the most inappropriate times we will get an Idea. This could be half way through a maths lesson or at three o clock in the morning. And we have no way of remembering it when it is useful.

I know this was a short post but I hope you enjoy it.
Comment below something you do as a writer.
xo

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I imagine myself in the position of the main character, which helps with the writing side, but it means strong emotional attachments to the characters so killing someone off kills me, like I get severely depressed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this! There is not one bit of this that doesn't ring true to me. (especially in the timing section ha ha). Great first post on your new blog! Keep them coming!

    Bidy
    http://www.dearlittlerme.com

    ReplyDelete